Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Calling All Wheat Bellies...And Grain Brains

Two books that I have reading of late (along with a bunch of other people in the area) are Wheat Belly  by William Davis, MD and Grain Brain by David Perlmutter, MD. These two gentlemen are a cardiologist and neurosurgeon, respectfully, so I figure their information and advice is not going to be fly by night silliness.

To say that my eyes were opened by these books is an understatement. I've read all of Grain Brain and I'm knee-deep into Wheat Belly. Nonetheless, I am already convinced that I don't need the current product called wheat in my diet. So, I'm cruising along these days living the GF (gluten free) life to the best of my ability. 

It's interesting to explore just how "front and center" gluten is in our lives. Take any kind of bread, for instance. With few exceptions--especially here in Southern Indiana--gluten-y bread is everywhere. Add to this pastries, pastas, cookies, cakes, pies...well, you get the picture. Getting away from this can be tricky.

I'm trying currently to find something GF that will work for sandwiches. I know there are GF breads out there, but paying $7.00+ for a loaf of bread just doesn't really appeal to me. So...to the lab aka the kitchen I go.

Dr. Davis has a recipe for tortillas made of flax seed meal in the Wheat Belly book. I'm currently trying them out to see how they best work for us. For the recipe, see the Recipes page on this website.

Give these books a read--very interesting how wheat can play havoc in our lives from our brains to our muscles and everything in between.

No comments:

Post a Comment